HB638: Cross-Filing of School Board Candidates
This legislation would remove the ability of all candidates for school board to cross-file nomination petitions. Currently, the Pennsylvania Election Code of 1937 allows candidates seeking certain judicial positions and the position of the school board member to file nomination petitions for multiple political parties.
Historically, school board candidates have been permitted to cross-file because this position has been thought of as non-partisan. However, school board members make many important decisions, and many people increasingly view these decisions as partisan. There is also concern that cross-filing creates confusion for voters.
Simmons, Kauffman, Caltagirone, Grove, Gillen, Rothman, Cox, Gabler, Metcalfe, and Greiner
- Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, February 27, 2018
- Reported as amended, March 13, 2018
- First consideration, March 13, 2018
- Laid on the table, March 13, 2018
- Removed from the table, April 16, 2018
- Second consideration, April 17, 2018
- Re-committed to APPROPRIATIONS, April 17, 2018
- Re-reported as committed, April 18, 2018
- Third consideration and final passage, April 18, 2018 (114-77)
- In the Senate
- Referred to STATE GOVERNMENT, April 30, 2018