DCIU Accepting Entries for Veterans Day Essay Contest for Grades 6-8
DCIU PRESENTS ANNUAL VETERANS DAY ESSAY CONTEST FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENTS
The Delaware County Intermediate Unit (DCIU) and the Veterans Legacy Project invite Delaware County students in grades 6-8 to enter the 2020 Veterans Day Essay Contest. The purpose of the contest is to challenge students to think about war and freedom in ways they never have before, to gain a sense of pride in our country and to honor and respect those brave individuals who have risked their lives for our freedom. The first, second and third place winners will receive cash prizes and a certificate and will be invited to read their essays at the Veterans Day Ceremony in Media on Wednesday, November 11, 2020, at 11:11 a.m. The deadline to submit essay entries is November 4, 2020.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the traditional Veterans Day Parade will not take place; however, in its place will be a brief ceremony honoring all veterans, to be held in front of the Media Courthouse. The essay contest will focus on veterans of all wars. To complete this essay, students must interview a family member or a close family friend who has served in the United States military and write an essay of approximately 200 words about this person’s experiences. Students should include the veteran’s military branch, dates of service, his/her job/role in the service, where he/she served, any war experience and any advice the veteran may have for young people about serving in the military. Creativity is encouraged.
Essays will be read by a panel and judged according to adherence to the theme/question(s), creativity and basic conventions of writing. The following rules apply:
- Maximum of 200 words, researched through veteran interviews (publications, books, internet or classroom studies may also be used for additional resources).
- Essays must be typed on 8 ½ by 11 inch paper with a separate cover sheet indicating the student’s name, grade, phone number, email address, school and teacher’s name.
- One entry per student.
- Submission deadline is November 4, 2020 by 4:00 pm. Winners notified by Nov. 6.
- All entries become property of DCIU and the U.S. Veterans Legacy Project.
- All submissions must be emailed to the attention of Mrs. Adriene Irving at email@example.com. Call 610-938-9000 ext. 2061 for further information or if there are any questions or concerns.