Wilson Fundations Training Coming Back to DCIU
DCIU is pleased to once again bring Wilson Fundations training to Delaware County educators!
Wilson Fundations makes learning to read fun while laying the groundwork for life-long literacy. Students in grades K-3 receive a systematic program in critical foundational skills, emphasizing:
- Phonemic awareness
- Phonics/word study
- High frequency word study
- Reading fluency
- Comprehension strategies
DCIU will offer Wilson Fundations training this Fall in Level K, Level 1, and Level 2.
Cost per workshop: $250 in-county; $325 out-of-county
Workshop Date and Time: October 10, 2019, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The FundationsⓇ Level K Workshop provides the practice and guidance needed to effectively begin teaching the FundationsⓇ Level K curriculum. At the completion of the workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Have a solid background knowledge and understanding of the research base supporting the why and how of FundationsⓇ instruction.
- Identify the skills taught in FundationsⓇ Level K: phonological awareness; phonemic awareness and the alphabetic principle; sound mastery; ways to inform the key linkages-letter name, formation and sound; phonics; vocabulary; high frequency/trick words; fluency; comprehension strategies; manuscript handwriting, spelling, and punctuation.
- Understand the principles of instruction: explicit, sequential, and cumulative instruction that engages multiple learning modalities with multi sensory instruction, repetition, and immediate, specific feedback.
- Prepare a daily Level K learning plan and practice lesson activity procedures.
- Build a learning focused classroom: maximizing instructional time, learning lesson activities, using questioning to guide student learning and mastery, and encouraging craftsmanship for optimum outcomes.
Workshop Date and Time: October 11, 2019, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The FundationsⓇ Level 1 Workshop reinforces the basic Fundations skills learned in kindergarten and progresses further into the study of word structure while combining Fundations with a wide variety of text experiences.
Workshop Date and Time: September 24, 2019, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Level 2 of FundationsⓇ builds on the basic skills that where learned in kindergarten and Level 1 and progresses further into the study of word structure while combining Fundations with a wide variety of text experiences, and exposing students to poetry, narrative, and informational text.