Early Head Start/Head Start
DCIU Head Start – Educating, Empowering and Encouraging People to Succeed
- Head Start serves the community, families and children of Delaware County. Our focus is to meet all the aspects and values of each child and family. We recognize the importance that parents bring to our program.
- We view the families holistically and individually by recognizing the educational, physical, mental, emotional, health and nutritional strengths of each child and family.
- The children will be positively enriched throughout the entire program and given the opportunity to develop socially, emotionally, cognitively and physically through many new learning experiences.
- Delaware County Intermediate Unit Head Start embraces President Bush's "No Child Left Behind" initiative. Our goal is to educate children so they succeed in kindergarten. One of the ways we are working towards this goal is by creating a literacy rich environment in every classroom. Our classrooms are affluent with print, vocabulary, books, computer software and opportunities to experience literacy as a source of enjoyment.
- Every child has a specially trained TEAM who promotes school readiness by enhancing social and cognitive development.
- The TEAM members represent eight content areas in Head Start – Family and Community Partnerships, Early Childhood Education, Disabilities, English as a Second Language, Health and Safety, Mental Health, Nutrition and Transportation – numerous community partnerships that provide the highest level of services to children and families. Advisory Committees for Health, Families and Child Development and school districts work to support successful transitions from Head Start into elementary school.
- The foundation for the TEAM is a well-functioning, governing body made up of the Grantee – DCIU, the DCIU Board of Directors, the Head Start Management Team, Policy Council, and groups with policy-making authority share the responsibility for overseeing delivery of state-of-the-art services to children and families in accordance with Head Start legislation, regulations and policies.
"The mission of the Delaware County Intermediate Unit Head Start Program is to provide families with tools to become self-sufficient; to prepare children who are ready, willing and able to learn; to empower and develop capable and highly qualified staff and to produce leaders committed to excellence for the promise and vision of a brighter future."
In accordance with Federal law and the U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability.