Since 1985, the OPTIONS Travel Instruction Program has provided students with intensive, one-on-one instruction in how to:
- Travel safely and independently within the community
- Use public transportation
Students work toward full competency in essential travel skills. They must demonstrate mastery of:
- Street crossing skills related to the travel route
- Functional travel-related life skills and specific transit routes
Students learn how to adapt to travel variances such as:
- A missed stop
- A detoured bus
- Blocked pathways and other unplanned ocurrences
Emphasis is placed on problem solving through guided discovery.
After a thorough assessment, a four-phase comprehensive instructional program is provided, designed specifically for the needs of the student. For those students not ready for independent travel, basic skills lessons can be provided. These are a series of lessons designed to assist the student to further develop the skills necessary for independent travel.
Travel Instruction is also a service that is offered for adults. Assessment and instruction can be provided