Community Based Instruction
Community Living & Learning, Meaningful Day & SAILS
In the community apartment setting, students participate in hands on, real life experiences while enhancing or further
strengthening their independent living skills. These skills could include but are not limited to: relationship building, social
thinking, self-advocacy, and problem solving. The students develop increased awareness and confidence in community
living. They practice pedestrian safety, increasing their awareness of potential dangers, and strategies to use if faced with
dangerous situations. They learn to access community resources both inperson and virtually, including banks, post offices, retail and grocery stores,
malls, local colleges, businesses, libraries and recreational facilities. While out in the community, participants receive training,
practice and experience in a diverse array of crucial social and self-advocacy skills that are required for independent living.
- Community Living and Learning and Meaningful Day provides supervision and instruction for 1 to 4 days a week.
- SAILS provides an environment with intense supervision with a smaller ratio of staff to student.
OPTIONS curriculum could include but is not limited to:
- Social Thinking, Self Determination, Self-Advocacy
- Communication Skills
- Interpersonal Skills
- Health and Safety
- Recreational and Leisure Activities
- Accessing Community Resources
- Domestic Maintenance