Upper Darby School District Superintendent Search
Superintendent Leadership Profile
Upper Darby School District is a suburban/urban district that is seeking a superintendent who demonstrates a high level of professionalism, strong educational leadership skills, experience with strategic planning, curriculum and instruction design, systems analytics and development, fiscal planning and management, and who understands the challenges associated with a diverse district. This leader will capitalize on his/her experience to develop a thorough understanding of the needs of the district, and create a vision to drive ongoing success for all students.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Unifier, approachable, able to connect with staff, community and students – ability to work collaboratively with all stakeholders.
- Good listener, open to understanding the viewpoints of various constituencies, and the ability to make informed decisions.
- Team builder who collaborates with others and gains consensus with various groups inside and outside of the school district.
- Strong leader able to direct others to accomplish district goals, monitor progress, and evaluate performances.
- Even-tempered person who creates an atmosphere of trust and mutual respect.
- Leader with strong interpersonal and communication skills, social-emotional insight, and understanding of all students’, staff members’, and community members’ diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Optimistic with a genuine interest and caring for the people in the district – and willingness to hold them accountable for results.
- Equitable leader who will ensure that each student has equitable access to effective teachers, learning opportunities, academic, and social and emotional supports.
- Professionalism and composure in dealing with a wide range of situations – Possesses ‘grace under fire’ in difficult situations. Strong public relations skills.
- Shared understanding of, and commitment to, the mission, vision, and core values of the district, schools, and community.
- Motivator to ensure the highest quality staff members in every school.
- Deep understanding of and experience with curriculum, instruction, and assessment that promotes rigorous expectations for student learning.
- Systems mindset and desire for continuous improvements to ensure student learning.
- Build and maintain safe, caring, and healthy school environments that meets the academic, social, emotional, and physical needs of each student.
- Desire to promote and sustain school environments in which each student is known, accepted, and valued, trusted and respected, cared for, and encouraged to be an active and responsible member of the community.
- Experience providing systems of academic and social support, services, extracurricular activities, and accommodations to meet the diverse learning needs of each student.
- Identifies, plans, and funds improvement to school facilities and infrastructures.
- Allocates time, money, personnel, and resources effectively in ways that align with the goal of achievement for all students.
- Experience and competence with school finances of an underfunded school district and long-range planning and management of district resources.
- Maintains a system to manage taxpayer dollars and an ever-increasing array of demands resulting from federal and state mandates and requirements.
- Recruits, hires, supports, develops, and retains effective and caring teachers and other professional staff, and leads and develops them to be an educationally effective faculty.
- Advocates for the school district and its children at both the local and state level.
- Builds and maintains relationships with community leaders to build trust, and employs political understanding to get buy in from the community.
- Mindfulness and understanding of the history of the Upper Darby School District.
- Commitment to the community for a period of time, as the district will be more easily navigated with sustained leadership.
- Develops and cultivates partnerships with the internal and external community (businesses, higher education establishments, and other educational entities) and understands what is needed to maintain and grow partnerships.
- Change agent committed to the making the lives of the stakeholders better, cheerleader and motivator who inspires others with, and is personally inspired by, what the Upper Darby School District has to offer.
The Superintendent Search is being conducted by the DCIU as a value-added service at no cost to the Upper Darby School District.