Upper Darby School District Superintendent Search
The Delaware County Intermediate Unit (DCIU) is pleased to conduct the Superintendent Search for the Upper Darby School District (UDSD).
The Upper Darby School District, one of the ten largest school districts in Pennsylvania, serves the residents of Upper Darby Township, Clifton Heights Borough, and Millbourne Borough, in Southeastern Pennsylvania. With approximately 13,000 students, over 980 professional staff, and 750 support personnel, the district has 15 schools: 1 high school, 2 middle schools, a cyber academy, 10 elementary schools, and a Kindergarten Center. The district’s mission is, “To provide a comprehensive and challenging educational program which encourages all learners in a safe environment to respect others, value education, and appreciate and contribute to their community as confident, independent thinkers.” The District’s operating budget is over $210 million, with a millage rate of approximately 33.815 and an average assessment value of $100,000.
The UDSD has over 82,000 residents making up 22,000 households in its numerous, very diverse communities. The UDSD student population includes over 800 students served in its English Language Development program, 1,300 students in its special education programs, and over 100 high school students attending career and technical programs in two county-level schools.
The Upper Darby School District is seeking a knowledgeable, experienced, and highly effective leader to fill the vital role of Superintendent. If you possess the following qualities, you are invited to apply:
- Visionary with long term commitment to the mission, values, and beliefs of the UDSD and to fostering a positive learning experience for all children and staff.
- Commitment to the interests of all stakeholders in the community including residents, parents, students, and staff.
- Strong foundation in a systems approach to operations, curriculum, instruction and assessment, educational best practices, and creating climates of respect and safe schools.
- Courageous innovator and strong educational leader with a positive attitude who strives to build collaboration, trust, and consensus among all internal and external stakeholders.
- Understands the needs of a very diverse district serving very diverse communities.
- Keen knowledge of, and experience with, school finance, business management, school law, and human resource management.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to develop and cultivate relationships through all channels of communication.
- Experience leading the management of aging facilities.
- Prior experience as a Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent for a large district in a diverse community, with a proven history of success and longevity.
- PA Superintendent Letter of Eligibility (Out of State - Eligible for PA Letter).
- Doctorate in Education preferred.
Compensation: The total compensation package is competitive and negotiable.
The Superintendent Search is being conducted by the DCIU as a value-added service at no cost to the Upper Darby School District.