The Delaware County STEM Ecosystem will create and enhance experiential opportunities for all students to develop STEM Literacy.
STEM education is an integrated, interdisciplinary approach to learning that provides hands-on and relevant learning experiences for students. STEM teaching and learning goes beyond the mere transfer of knowledge. It engages students and equips them with critical thinking, problem solving, creative and collaborative skills. STEM Literacy provides a foundation for all students' success in future college and career and ultimately establishes connections between the school, work place, community, and the global economy.
- STEM Literacy is essential to every student.
- STEM Literacy is a continual learning process from early childhood through adulthood.
- STEM Literacy is a set of skills and a way of thinking rather than a set of things to be learned.
- STEM Literacy is an experiential approach that is essential to a high-quality STEM experience.
- The arts and design thinking are an integral part of STEM Literacy.
- STEM Literacy for all requires a committed partnership between industry, educational institutions, and non-profits and the community to provide high-quality STEM experiences.
- To meet the goal of STEM Literacy for all, training and professional learning must be provided to every teacher.