College, Career and Military
Students Occupationally and Academically Ready
Students who go to technical school can (and do) go to college!
SOAR whish stands for Students Occupationally and Academically Ready is a new opportunity for students which makes earning college credits through high school career and technical education programs a real possibility. For more information regarding SOAR visit the PA College Transfer Website.
Students SOAR with articulated college credits!
Through this state-wide initiative, students enrolled in career and technical education (CTE) programs have the opportunity to align their high school courses to college programs. After successful completion of the high school program, students can earn college credits* towards completion of a degree, diploma, or certificate.
- Why participate in SOAR?
- Get a rigorous education program combining math, science and communications with specific advanced technical skills.
- Save money. Qualify to receive guaranteed admission and advanced credits, reducing overall tuition expenses. Programs that earn 12 credits can earn students the equivalent of a full semester already completed.
- Save time. Enter college with credits already earned, complete freshman courses early, earn advanced certifications and degrees early.
- Gain confidence. Get rewarded for handling college-level work, meet faculty and professionals in your career.
1:1 Articulation Agreements
DCTS continues to seek out opportunities for students to maximize their high school experience. Eligible students will now have the opportunity to earn college credits and fulfill high school requirements at the same time through dual enrollment.
Eligible students will now have the opportunity to earn college credits and fulfill high school requirements at the same time through dual enrollment.
Check out our dual enrollment options here!
Earning College Credit through NOCTI
NOCTI stands for the National Occupational Competency Testing Institute. In Spring 2012, NOCTI collaborated with the National College Credit Recommendation Service (NCCRS) to evaluate several of its assessments. Experienced industry experts and professors evaluated the rigor of the NOCTI assessments to translate the content into college credit equivalencies.Earning College Credit through NOCTI.
- View the list of NOCTI cooperating colleges/universities within your state
- View the list of eligible NOCTI assessments, assessment content, and recommended credit
- Does your NOCTI score qualify you to earn college credit?
Financial Aid Information
College and Career Planning
- Education Planner
- Career Zone Pennsylvania
- Easing the College Transition
- Pennsylvania Career Guide (PDF)
- Mapping your Future
- Trade Schools, Colleges and Universities
- The Common Application
- College Board
- Use the Occupational Outlook Handbook to research the job outlook, work environment, expected salary, education required, and much more for hundreds of career areas
Toll-Free Numbers and website information follows.
- US Army Call 1-800-USA-ARMY for more information
- US Navy Call 1-800-USA-NAVY for more information
- US Air Force Call 1-800-423-USAF for more information
- US Marine Corps Call 1-800-MARINES for more information
- US Coast Guard Call 1-877-NOW-USCG for more information
- Air National Guard Call 1-800-TO-GO-ANG for more information
- Army National Guard Call 1-800-GO-GUARD for more information
The ASVAB Test
The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery is more commonly known as the ASVAB Test. If you are interested in a military career, you will need to pass this challenging test in order to qualify. It is used for all branches of the military which includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard. It is also used to gauge your abilities in specific areas that may be relevant to your job assignments within the military. See your DCTS Counselor for more resources.