Department: Career and Technical Education
School of: Health and Biosciences
Instructors: Denise Kossuth, Roe Barakat, MaryBeth Murray, Mary Flanagan, Sara Connolly-Smith, and Celeste Quigley
CIP Code: 51.9999
Where the Hospital becomes the classroom. This program is offered to students who are interested in attending college to prepare for a career in health care. It has been nationally recognized by the Life Science Career Alliance, won teaching awards from Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), and achieves 100% college placement. This year long program is offered at 1 of 6 area hospitals. Students attend class daily at their assigned hospital and the curriculum offers a combination of lecture, patient care skills, and clinical rotations. Students benefit from career-based presentations from an array of health care professionals including: nurses, physicians, physician assistants, physical therapists, medical technologists and pharmacists. The curriculum includes anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, medical terminology, safety, infection control and medical law and ethics. Students graduate from the program with a solid understanding of the integral relations of the hospital team and a vision of their potential role in the health care industry.
Hospitals: Crozer-Chester Medical Center, Bryn Mawr Hospital, Mercy Fitzgerald Hospital, Lankenau Medical Center, Taylor Hospital and Delaware County Memorial Hospital.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- AHA- BLS Provider
- AHA Heartsaver First Aid (CPR/AED)
with professional degrees: masters, doctorate
- Nurse Practitioner
- Physical or Occupational Therapist
- Physician Assistant
- Speech & Language Pathologist
with 4 year college degrees or higher
- Registered Dietitian
- Registered Nurse
with 2 year college degrees
- Respiratory Therapist
- Radiation Technologist
College Credit Opportunities
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, Mount Aloysius College, Harcum College, Lackawanna College, Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center, Johnson College, Lenape Technical School Practical Nursing Program, Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology, Western Area Career and Technology Center, Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center and Crawford County Career and Technical Center Practical Nursing Program.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Neumann University and Saint Francis University.