Department: Career and Technical Education
School of: Construction Technology
Instructor: John McCuen
CIP Code: 47.0201
HVAC professionals have central role in helping to make homes and buildings more energy efficient. DCTS students can earn college credits as well as their Environmental Protection Agency (EPA 608) certification. Students learn system design, installation, repair and maintenance of commercial, industrial and residential HVAC systems. The course is taught in compliance with the standards established by the National Association for Testing Excellence (NATE) and the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA).
Students who opt to enter the ACCA apprenticeship program at the minimum age of 16 earn up to 9 college credits at DCCC, and work 500 hours for an ACCA contractor (paid employment) will be eligible for completion of one year of a four year apprenticeship program. Upon graduation, students will be offered full-time employment with a ACCA contractor and enter as a second year apprentice.
Students should expect to invest approximately $400 in specialized tools, uniforms, kits and reference books for this 3-year program.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- EPA-608 (Environmental Protection Agency) Certification
- NCCER Core
- NCCER-HVAC Level 1
- NCCER-HVAC Level 2
- NCCER-HVAC Level 3
with 4 year college degrees or higher
- HVAC Consulting/Design Engineer
- Project Estimator
with 2 year college degrees
- Facility Engineer
- Job Foreman or Supervisor
- HVAC Technician/Application Engineer
with certifications, specialized training apprenticeships
- Building Performance/Energy Auditor
- Field Service and Installation
- Heating Technician
- Journeyman/Apprentice or Mechanic
- Backflow Technician
College Credit Opportunities
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, Community College of Allegheny County, Westmoreland County Community College, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Delaware County Community College, Luzerne County Community College, Northampton County Area Community College, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, Butler County Community College, Lehigh Carbon Community College, Johnson College, Orleans Technical Institute and Rosedale Technical College.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Brightwood Career Institute, University of Northwestern, Philadelphia Suburban University (PHCC) and Saint Francis University.