This is a healthcare career exploration program culminating with the opportunity to choose a Medical Assistant or Nursing Assistant pathway. The Health Sciences curriculum is a foundation for all health career pathways in which students may choose to train for a Clinical Medical Assisting certification or a Nursing Assistant certification in their senior year. Medical Assistants work in the offices of physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors, and other health practitioners. They assist doctors and physicians, take patient history, manage online medical records, measure vital signs, give injections, schedule appointments and administer blood tests. Nursing Assistants work in long-term care facilities such as nursing homes. This program provides opportunities to gain experience in real life situations. Students can learn to feed, bathe, care for patients and monitor patient vitals. The handson experiences and training students receive will provide strong preparation for future careers.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- AHA-BLS Provider
- Certified Medical Assistant
- PA Nurse Aide Registry
Median Wage for Related Occupations
- Healthcare Technologists & Technicians, all other $43,120
- Healthcare Practitioners & Technical Workers, all other $82,870
- Healthcare support worker $38,850
- Nurse, Other Specialist $69,170
College Credit Opportunities
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, Mount Aloysius College, Harcum College, Lackawanna College, Greater Altoona Career & Technology Center, Johnson College, Lenape Technical School Practical Nursing Program, Central Pennsylvania Institute of Science and Technology, Western Area Career and Technology Center, Greater Johnstown Career and Technology Center and Crawford County Career and Technical Center Practical Nursing Program.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Neumann University and Saint Francis University.