Culinary Arts and Food Service Management
Department: Career and Technical Education
School of: Hospitality, Tourism and Human Services
Instructor: Don Young
CIP Code: 12.0508
This program prepares students for culinary arts management fields. Students are taught food preparation, front of the house management, inventory control, safety, sanitation and business management skills. Use of hand tools and instruction on culinary vocabulary take place on a daily basis. Students receive instruction in culinary math and the skills needed to organize and operate a successful facility. Students prepare soups and sauces, breakfast entrees, sandwich production, pies, cakes and yeast-raised products, entrées, international dishes, vegetables, proper garnishing, salads and dressings. DCTS students have won state and national food service and preparation competitions. DCTS participates in the Careers through Culinary Arts Program (C-CAP), which provides a professional culinary network connecting students with internships, college programs and scholarships. The majority of our students graduate from college with Associate Degrees in Culinary Arts or Baking and Pastry Arts and many continue earning their Bachelors’ Degree in Food Service Management.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- Serve Safe Certification
with 4 year college degrees or higher
- Executive Chef
- Hotel and Resort Manager
- Food Industry Production Manager
- Food Scientist/Research and Developer
with 2 year college degrees
- Pastry Chef
- Sous Chef
- Food Service Manager
with certifications and/or specialized training
- Management Trainee
- Cake Decorator
- Prep Cook
- Line Cook
College Credit Opportunities
- Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus, Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Allegheny County, Westmoreland County Community College, Delaware County Community College, Luzerne County Community College, Community College of Philadelphia, SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill, Community College of Beaver County, Pennsylvania College of Technology, Allegany College of Maryland and Commonwealth Technical Institute.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Culinary Institute of America, Walnut Hill College (Restaurant School) and Saint Francis University.