Computer Networking and Digital Forensics
Department: Career and Technical Education
School of: Engineering and Computer Science
Instructor: David Tatum
CIP Code: 11.0901
The Computer Networking & Digital Forensics curriculum centers on networks and the computer devices that comprise a typical network, including building, maintaining and supporting computer network systems forming the foundation for beginning a career in Information Technology. With a solid understanding of network fundamentals, a variety of careers related to information technology are possible such as: desktop support, network administration, computer forensics, IT security, and litigation support. Industry certifications align with CompTIA including A+, Network+ and Security+. Students have the opportunity to pursue the Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) and Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT) certifications. Computer forensics certifications include AccessData Certified Examiner (ACE) and AccessData Mobile Phone Examiner (AME). Additionally, there is a copper based certification. Upon achieving the skills and certifications offered in the program, students are competitive for entry level employment in Information Technology as well as many post-secondary colleges or universities.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- CompTIA IT Fundamentals
- Copper-based Cabling
- Access Data Mobile Examiner
- Access Data Certified Examiner
- CompTIA A+
- CompTIA Network +
- CompTIA Security +
- Microsoft Technology Associate
with 4 year college degrees or higher
- Network Systems and Data Communications Analyst
- Network and Computer Systems Administrator
- Network/Security Systems Engineer
with 2 year college degree
- Network Service Technician
- Telecommunications Technologist
- Computer Support Specialist
- LAN Specialist
College Credit Opportunities
- Bucks County Community College, Montgomery County Community College-Central Campus, Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, Mount Aloysius College, Community College of Allegheny County, Peirce College, Reading Area Community College, Westmoreland County Community College, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Delaware County Community College, Luzerne County Community College, Northampton County Area Community College, Community College of Philadelphia, Thaddeus Steven College of Technology, Community College of Beaver County, Butler County Community College, Lehigh Carbon Community College, Pennsylvania Highlands Community College, Allegany College of Maryland and Johnson College.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Pennsylvania Institute of Technology and Saint Francis University.