Department: Career and Technical Education
School of: Construction Technology
Instructor: Kyle O'Neill
CIP Code: 46.0201
The DCTS Carpentry curriculum is aligned with Pennsylvania’s state-wide Program of Study and the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER). DCTS faculty are NCCER and Green Advantage® certified, providing students with opportunities to earn professional certifications while exploring new technique and trends in green building and LEED® design. Students learn building layout, framing, roofing, windows,doors, and trim. On-site projects include using hand and power tools, building layout, floor, wall, roof framing, exterior and interior finishes. Once students successfully complete each module and pass their written and practical tests, their information is recorded in the NCCER National Registry. Upon graduation, they can continue their education through local union apprenticeships, a variety of partnering college programs, or the Association of Builders and Contractors.
Students should expect to invest approximately $400 in specialized tools, uniforms, kits and reference books for this 3-year program.
Industry Certifications a Student May Earn
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Core
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Carpentry Level One
with 4-year college degrees or higher
- Civil Engineer
- Construction Engineer
- LEED Construction Commissioner
with 2-year college degrees
- Architectural Drafter
- Building Inspector
- Construction Estimator
- Construction Manager
with certifications and/or licensing
- Interior/Exterior Finishing
- General Contractor
- Plumbing Assistant
- Property Manager
College Credit Opportunities
- Harrisburg Area Community College-Harrisburg, Clarion University of Pennsylvania, Delaware County Community College, Thaddeus Stevens College of Technology, Johnson College, Orleans Technical Institute and Commonwealth Technical Institute.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Saint Francis University