This program teaches general construction skills and knowledge necessary to build a house. Practical experience and classroom training prepares students enrolled in the Building Trades program for employment in general construction or property maintenance. Students are taught carpentry, masonry, plumbing, roofing, drywall application, painting, and framing/finishing. Students learn basic safety, the use of hand tools and power tools, and construction technology. Students explore floor systems, wall systems, ceiling joists, and roof joists. They also learn plumbing with copper tubing and fittings. Students learn about exterior finishes, basic stair layout, electrical safety, residential electrical work, and PVC plumbing for drains, waste, and vents. Also, the opportunity is provided to students for creating a National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) box for their exam.
Industry Certifications a Student may earn
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Construction Technology
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) Core
Median Wage for Related Occupations
- Maintenance & Repair Workers, General $41,950
- Construction, Workers, General $40,000
- Property Manager $62,000
- Supervisor, Construction $69,510
College Credit Opportunities
- Community College of Allegheny County, Luzerne County Community College, Orleans Technical Institute and Commonwealth Technical Institute.
- Visit CollegeTransfer.net for more information.
- Saint Francis University