4th Annual Delaware County Intermediate Unit Scripps Spelling Bee
The Delaware County Intermediate Unit is proud to once again bring Delaware County students the opportunity to participate in the Scripps National Spelling Bee program.
The 4th Annual Delaware County Intermediate Unit Spelling Bee will take place February 1, 2020 with an inclement weather date of February 29, 2020. The champion of the 4th Annual Delaware County Intermediate Unit Spelling Bee will represent our area in the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee near Washington, D.C.
The Bee helps students improve their spelling, increase their vocabulary, learn concepts, and develop correct English usage that will help them all their lives. In addition to the academic benefits, students also develop important life skills that will help them as they advance in school and eventually to successful careers.
How to Participate
In order for students to participate in the Delaware County Intermediate Unit spelling bee program, schools must enroll with the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Early enrollment is available through October 15, 2019 at a fee of $165 per school. Regular enrollment is October 16, 2019 through December 20, 2019 at a fee of $240 per school. Schools may pay via credit card or check. To enroll, teachers or administrators may visit spellingbee.com and select the Enrollment button in the upper right corner of the homepage. This will also serve as your registration with the Delaware County Intermediate Unit.
When enrolled at spellingbee.com and pay the enrollment fee, schools will receive exclusive access to:
- Word lists and study lists of varying difficulty levels (School Spelling Bee Study List),
- Study materials for the school spelling bee champions (Words of the Champions, a new study resource featuring 4,000 words to prepare students for regional spelling bees and for success in life),
- The 2020 Classroom Pronouncer Guide for administering classroom spelling bees,
- The 2020 School Pronouncer Guide for administering a school spelling bee,
- Award certificates for participants and your school champions, and
- Key information about the DCIU spelling bee program.
From Encylopædia Britannica, registered schools will also receive a one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids that schools may award to a student (a $74.95 value). Schools that enroll by September 30, 2019 will receive two one-year subscriptions.