Guest Teacher Program
In response to the national substitute teacher shortage crisis, DCIU is offering a guest teacher program service as an effort to assist participating districts with obtaining substitute teachers on a daily basis.The Guest Teacher Program is designed to provide individuals with limited or no teaching experience with the necessary training required to become day-to-day substitutes. Any individual with a bachelor’s degree (in any content area) from an accredited university is eligible to apply to participate in the program. Upon completing the program, participants will receive an emergency permit used by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE), enabling them to substitute in any participating district and career technical institute on a day-to-day basis.Guest Teacher Training is for individuals with a bachelor’s degree (in any field) who are interested in serving as substitute teachers. The training program will enable participants to substitute in DCIU classes as well as classes within participating school entities in Delaware County.
2021 Training Dates
July 26-30, 2021 (program to run virtually)
- Monday, July 26, 2021: 9-9:30 am (One 30-minute Live Session)
- 7.5 Hours of Asynchronous online work between July 26 and July 30, 2021
- 4.5 Hours of Live Virtual Instruction on Friday, July 30
- 8:30 - 9:30 am
- 10:00 - 12:00 am
- 1:00 - 2:30 pm
The participation fee is $50 via Online Payment
This session will run virtually. Zoom link to be provided by separate email.
Please complete the Guest Teacher Application to participate.
Training Program Outline
The mix of live and at-your-own-pace training sessions will provide strategies for effective instruction and management of traditional, non-traditional and special education classrooms, as well as professional responsibilities. During the training, participants will learn about:
- Responsibilities of being a substitute teacher
- Lesson planning
- Classroom management and behavior techniques
- PDE Mandates
- Instructional strategies to engage learners
- Special education overview
- Professional ethics
- Communication and collaboration strategies
How to Participate
In order to register for the training, the following paperwork must be submitted to DCIU Human Resources. Interviews will be scheduled after the deadline for all registered applicants.
All guest teachers must register on PDE’s new system, Teacher Information Management System (TIMS).
- $50.00 registration fee (check, money order, or online payment to be paid after program acceptance)
- Complete online application (see links to open online applications for each scheduled training above)
- Official transcripts (sent via e-mail to email@example.com)
- PA mandated clearances and forms
- Information about this training will be forwarded to qualified participants following a phone screening.
If you have any questions about the DCIU Guest Teacher Program or any of the requirements to participate in the program, please do not hesitate to contact Deborah Terpstra at (610) 938-9000 x2017 or firstname.lastname@example.org.