Early Intervention Services
DCIU Preschool Special Education is designed to help children with special needs before they enter Kindergarten.
- Free screening and developmental assessments for children whose families, pediatricians, or others have concerns
- A multidisciplinary team of certified/licensed early interventionists assesses each child’s learning strengths and needs and makes recommendations about eligibility for special education programming
- An IEP (Individualized Education Plan) is developed for children found to be eligible for special education services
ServicesPreschool children can receive many types of services if they have an identified disability, or a developmental delay in at least one of the following areas of development:
DCIU's preschool special education services are free to eligible children who reside within Delaware County.The process begins with a telephone call from the child’s parent or legal guardian to the Preschool Special Education Department. A secretary will record some basic information and ask about learning concerns. A screening packet will then be sent to the family in the mail, to be completed and returned to our office. Based upon this information, the family will then be contacted regarding further assessment.
- special education instruction
- speech and language therapy
- occupational and/or physical therapy
- vision services
- hearing services
- audiological services
- psychological services and family training
- assistive technology
ContactDCIU Preschool Special Education Department – 610-938-2830 ext. 6502 or 6503